Connecticut isn’t exactly a state that screams “viticulture” to the average wine fan, but this state has been building a steady wine culture in recent years. It even possesses a unique taste profile that makes it an exciting place to visit if you’re a big wine fan who wants something a little new.
Where is Connecticut?
Connecticut is a state in New England known primarily for beautiful outdoor environments, Yale University, and a surprisingly active and thriving art scene.
However, Connecticut is also home to over 40 different wineries, which might be surprising. While by no means a large number, the wineries in this region provide a fruit-wine style typical for colder New England states.
Popular Wines from Connecticut
Connecticut is primarily known for the vitis vinifera grape along with other hybrid grape options.
Typically, you’ll find wineries with Riesling, Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc, Vidal, and Saint-Croix wines in this state, though the state’s unique weather naturally produces very sugar-rich grapes used to make some of the best dessert wines throughout New England: and the country in general.
12 of The Best Wineries in Connecticut
The following 12 wineries are the best Connecticut has to offer!
Though the other options are just fine and should satisfy most people, there’s just something about these wineries that stands out. Be it their wine quality, décor, or food options, you just can’t go wrong with these wineries!
Map of The Best Wineries in Connecticut
1. Jerram Winery
- Website: Jerram Winery
- Address: 535 Town Hill Rd. (Rte. 219), New Hartford, CT 06057
- Phone Number: (860) 379-8749
Jerram Winery uses a unique “farm-based” winemaking experience, one that focuses on handling grapes and wine production with as much of a “hands-on” process as possible.
Located in a historic area of New Hartford, this rural winery is on land that’s been settled since the early 1700s.
Visitors can try up to 11 different wines in a relaxing environment, sitting outdoors with their friends and family, or just relaxing by themselves.
However, you can also book a private event, including birthday parties, wedding ceremonies, and even club meetings for your work or wine group.
Jerram also hosts regular art gatherings throughout the year, showcasing fantastic local artists with unique skills.
These events provide wine fans with a unique chance to hang out together, get to know one another and experience new and exciting times together in a laid-back environment.
Jerram is particularly great at creating wines like Seyval Blanc, Aurora, White Front, and S’il Vous Plait, four wines you don’t see a lot in many parts of the country.
These wines, along with the following amenities, make this a great place to visit in season:
- Comfortable outdoor seating environment
- Relaxing and friendly interior seating area
- Small and high-quality wine selection
- Multiple flight options possible with each visit
2. Paradise Hills Vineyard & Winery
- Website: Paradise Hills Vineyard & Winery
- Address: 15 Windswept Hill Road, Wallingford, Connecticut, USA
- Phone Number: (203) 284-0123
Paradise Hills is an Italian-American winery with a family-owned setup.
This means you get the comfortable and personable winery experience you want. Rather than feeling rushed or unappreciated, you’ll get the attention you need to enjoy your wine experience.
You can enjoy the inside tasting room, including relaxing and attractive amenities like a wood-burning fireplace and a custom-made copper bar.
Or, if you prefer outdoor seating, why not sit at the outside bar during the summer and watch the sun go down with someone you love?
Paradise’s wine tasting room is one of the best on this list because it includes events like wine-release parties, live music, and personal wine tastings.
In addition, you can book private events here if you like, which will make it easier to enjoy this winery’s varietals without running into a lot of people.
Paradise is skilled at producing a broad range of red and white wines. Their reds include Cabernet Sauvignon, Maestro, and Cassa Rosso, while their whites include Cayuga, Chardonnay, and Traminette.
Other fun amenities to keep in mind when visiting this winery include:
- Winemaking clubs where you learn how to make your favorite drinks
- Multiple events during the weekend, like music
- Volunteer harvesting opportunities help you become a winemaker for a day
- Delicious Italian lunch after harvesting
3. Staehly Farm & Winery
- Website: Staehly Farm & Winery
- Address: 278 Town St. Rte. 82, East Haddam, CT 06423
- Phone Number: (860) 873-9774
Staehly Farm & Winery provides a unique experience that will likely appeal to many people.
They are one of the longest-operating wineries in Connecticut and have been in operation ever since 1985. That helps make it one of the oldest and most respected wineries in all of Connecticut.
Staehly uses sustainable and local growing techniques, focusing on fresh soil, composting methods, and more to make their wines tastier.
As a result, they are growing less impactful on the environment. This experience is becoming very popular throughout Connecticut wineries.
Visitors to their Yankee Cider Company tasting room can also enjoy some tasty ciders using apples grown throughout the area.
This unique tasting room helps to expand its operation beyond wine and makes this a great place to visit all year round.
Relax in their indoor and outdoor tasting areas and try any number of wines, including Dry Apple, Semi-Sweet Apple, Midnight Blueberry, and Pomodoro wines.
Other amenities that you may experience when visiting this fun and underrated winery include:
- Multiple greenhouses to visit during the year
- A Christmas tree farm where you can buy your yearly tree
- Multiple events, such as concerts and wine tastings
- Family-friendly experience even kids will love
4. Jonathan Edwards Winery
- Website: Jonathan Edwards Winery
- Address: 74 Chester Maine Road, North Stonington, CT 06359, United States
- Phone Number: (860) 215-3725
The attractive Jonathan Edwards Winery is the kind of place that you dream about when checking out wineries in New England.
They take their outside experience very seriously, taking great care to trim the lawns and provide beautiful flowers, bushes, and trees that look great throughout the year.
Try out the modern interior tasting room, with attractive and old-school touches that make your visit more enjoyable and exciting.
You may also love the outdoor seating area, where you can relax with friends and loved ones when the weather is warm, and you feel great.
Jonathan Edwards also has an attractive stone patio and barrel room that you can rent out for various events, such as weddings, dinners, and private events.
You can even set up tented events for up to 200 people, including full access to the vineyard and its many wines.
Try out one of their many wines to experience a fantastic array of tastes, including their Petite Sirah, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, and Riesling.
Other amenities that you may enjoy when visiting this winery include:
- Multiple tasting and tour events that make your experience more enjoyable
- Beautiful vineyard views that are perfect for sunset viewings
- Wine clubs that save you money on your purchases
- Welcoming atmosphere that includes comforting amenities like padded seating
5. Arrigoni Winery
- Website: Arrigoni Winery
- Address: 1287 Portland-Cobalt Rd. Route 66, Portland, CT 06480
- Phone Number: (860) 342-1999
Are you into a reasonably low-key environment for your winery and want to enjoy yourself inside and outside? Then, try out Arrigoni!
This winery is one of those places you dream about visiting and are so happy to find once you finally get there.
What if you’re not much into wine or your partner can’t enjoy wine? Never fear! Arrigoni has plenty of craft beers and ciders that may work well for you.
But, of course, your options will vary depending on your taste and availability, as many drinks are seasonal.
Arrigoni has many great wines that should work well to many tastes.
These include a few Sparkling Wines, reds like Merlot, Rosso, and Cabernet Franc, alongside reserve options of these wines. Visitors may also enjoy a surprising array of food options.
How does a traditional flatbread pizza sound? Or a Nutella dessert pizza paired with chilled chocolate truffles? If your mouth is watering, imagine pairing them with your favorite wine! You just can’t go wrong at Arrigoni.
Other amenities to consider include:
- A fun gift store where you can buy lots of gear
- Regular events, such as concerts and tastings
- Private bookings for weddings and other events
- Multiple flight options that let you taste multiple wines
6. Taylor Brooke Winery
- Website: Taylor Brooke Winery
- Address: 848 CT-171, Woodstock, CT 06281, United States
- Phone Number: (860) 974-1263
Taylor Brooke Winery is much more than just a winemaking specialist.
They also provide beers and slushies, which help make this a more diverse and enjoyable place to visit. It’s especially great if you love wines, but your partner is a beer person: a perfect compromise!
One area where Taylor Brooke differs from other wineries is offering a four-season pavilion open all year.
This pavilion is an attractive place to sit down and enjoy some drinks, whether in summer or winter, particularly if you love various foods along with your wine.
Though Taylor Brooke doesn’t provide any on-site cooking, they let food trucks park there throughout the year, primarily in the summer.
There are also various food events throughout the year, each of which provides local food makers a chance to show off their stuff.
As for wines, Taylor Brooke provides options like Sparkling Frontenac Gris, Petite Sirah Rose, Cayuga White, and Riesling. These varieties should give you plenty of unique options to choose.
Other amenities that you may enjoy when visiting this winery include:
- A food-friendly environment, so bring your lunch!
- Multiple music events with local artists
- Chocolate tasting events throughout most of the year
- Very comfortable indoor and outdoor seating
7. Holmberg Orchards and Winery
- Website: Holmberg Orchards and Winery
- Address: 1990 CT-12, Gales Ferry, CT 06335, United States
- Phone Number: (860) 464-7305
Holmberg Orchards and Winery is the kind of place you visit when you want a relaxing and rustic experience with an immersive overall feel.
They aren’t just a winery but a real farm and, therefore, provide a surprising array of different fun activities you may enjoy. For example, you can come and try various homegrown fruits on the farm or even pick some yourself!
Beyond that, you can also visit the farmer’s market and buy fresh fruits and vegetables. Doing so supports the local economy and also saves you money at the same time.
Alongside corn mazes, tractor rides, and even doughnuts, you’ll have a family-friendly experience whenever you visit here.
However, don’t forget that this is also a winery. They have many blends that you can enjoy while your kids explore the vineyard and the corn maze.
Wines here include Pinot Blanc, Gewurztraminer, and more. They also serve a variety of fruit-based ciders that taste nearly as good as their high-quality wines.
Other amenities that you may experience when visiting this unique environment include:
- Delicious homemade pies and other snacks
- Seasonal specialties that come and go
- Outdoor and indoor seating options
- Modern-style decorations with old-fashioned styles
8. Preston Ridge Vineyard
- Website: Preston Ridge Vineyard
- Address: 100 Miller Rd., Preston, CT 06365
- Phone Number: (860) 383-4278
There’s just something about a winery in farmland that creates an unforgettable experience for wine fans.
This beautiful winery is located 15 miles from Long Island Sound on top of a ridge that gives you the best view you can get in any of these wineries.
The rustic atmosphere is also paired with several more modern touches that make this a comfortable place to hang out, whether you visit the indoor seating area or prefer sitting outside.
Your options here are pretty diverse and should give you plenty of great experiences.
Though typically open from March to just before the snow starts to fall, Preston Ridge sells many of its best blends throughout various areas in Connecticut.
However, their tasting room experience is something you have to try out due to their gorgeous and appealing decorations.
Wine options you may enjoy here include an Estate Harvest Blend, Vidal Blanc, Fieldstone White, Chardonnay, and Riesling. These wines are often brewed in small batches, so make sure you buy them soon.
Amenities here include:
- Private event booking for many situations
- Multiple winery events, like tastings
- Food truck events throughout the year
- Attractive fields and nearby outdoor sights
9. Stonington Vineyards
- Website: Stonington Vineyards
- Address: 523 Taugwonk Rd, Stonington, CT 06378, United States
- Phone Number: (860) 535-1222
Do you want a winery that offers daily tastings, private bookings, and a complimentary wine glass for each tasting?
Are you into beautiful tasting rooms with a sophisticated style that still feels comfortable and relaxing? Then, you might want to try Stonington Vineyards to see what they have to offer.
When you book in advance, you can seat more than seven people and taste up to six wines per flight.
That means you can hold a fun and private party where you and your friends can enjoy the full run of the winery. In this way, you can get the best experience possible and enjoy yourselves even more.
You can then move into the outdoor seating area, where you can relax with friends and family and enjoy yourself.
This experience is something like no other, as you get a beautiful farmyard view that will capture your imagination and make your experience more enjoyable.
As for wines, you can choose between many different options. These include an Oak Chardonnay, a Seaport White, Cabernet Franc, Triad Rose, and Riesling.
Other amenities you may experience when visiting here include things like:
- Multiple wine clubs that may fit your needs
- On-site events, such as wine releases and concerts
- Site tours that introduce you to the rest of the winery
- In-depth discussions on wine creation
10. Saltwater Farm Vineyard
- Website: Saltwater Farm Vineyard
- Address: 349 Elm St., Stonington, CT 06378
- Phone Number: (860) 415-9072
Saltwater Farm Vineyard is an award-winning option that focuses on luxury and modern styles, including a large and comfortable tasting room with an expansive interior, beautiful views, and many more unique amenities.
This winery uses sustainable farming methods combined with a hand-picked style that helps to make them tastier and more worth your time.
Just as importantly, the vast acres can be explored at your leisure, depending on the season. Kids often love running through vineyards and seeing where grapes grow.
The outdoor tasting room is located on an attractive mezzanine built from a World War II airplane hangar.
Visitors can check out over 1,800 feet of grass and experience a breathtaking view of the vineyard, likely to bring them back time and time again.
There’s nothing in Connecticut quite like this unique hangar experience.
Saltwater’s vintages tend to sell fast, so make sure you visit them soon to buy Runway White, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay blends.
These options go well with the many amenities standard at this winery, including:
- Live music every weekend
- Destination wedding options
- A fun shop where you can buy many great items
- Family-friendly atmosphere
11. Chamard Vineyards
- Website: Chamard Vineyards
- Address: 115 Cow Hill Rd, Clinton, CT 06413, United States
- Phone Number: (860) 664-0299
Chamard Vineyards has that quaint and low-key atmosphere familiar to other Connecticut wineries.
However, its outdoor-oriented experience also includes an expansive tasting house that provides visitors with the chance to enjoy a broad array of different tasting experiences.
You can pick a variety of different private event options as well, including the Barn, which can hold up to 60-75 people, depending on the event.
In addition, the Barn gives you access to all the wines provided at Chamard, which is helpful if you plan on accommodating many people.
Do you have a big event that you want to enjoy with your loved ones? Why not rent the Lawn to accommodate up to 85 different guests?
There’s nothing quite like enjoying a beautiful vineyard experience (20 acres) with some attractive hand-built stone walls.
Try out the Cabernet Franc, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Pinot Noir when visiting here.
Thankfully, they produce up to 10,000 cases every year, minimizing your risk of running low. You can also try food and much more, all of which make this a fun place to visit.
- Decadent Parisian gnocchi and grilled Atlantic swordfish
- Sunday brunch that includes many great dishes
- Beautiful scenery that’s perfect for wedding ceremonies
- Live music concerts and other events
12. Connecticut Valley Winery
- Website: Connecticut Valley Winery
- Address: 1480 Litchfield Tpke. Rte. 202, New Hartford, CT 06057
- Phone Number: (860) 489-9463
Last but not least is Connecticut Valley Winery.
As one of the longest-tenured wineries on our list, they have a broad experience range that makes them beneficial, as their specialists understand the fine art of winemaking on a deep level. That expertise will transform your whole winemaking experience.
The first thing you’ll notice is the attractive tasting room, which looks like a large and inviting home.
There’s even a brick chimney, which makes the winery seem even more appealing and old-fashioned than it is by nature. In this way, you should feel fairly comfortable and relaxed when you visit this winery.
That’s because the modern tasting room includes many interior touches that make it attractive to more contemporary tastes.
In addition, the acres of vineyards around the winery offer a beautiful view that makes your outdoor seating experience even more appealing and attractive.
Wine options here are split between red and whites, with both offering some attractive options worth your time.
Great reds include Cabernet Franc, Chianti, Sangria, and Midnight, while whites include Valley White, Muscato, Dolce Vita, and an Orange Vidal.
Amenities here include:
- Fun new-release tastings
- Exceptional event experiences, like parties
- Award-winning blends from throughout the years
- Friendly staff who truly know wine
Overall Best Winery in Connecticut
For my money, I’d say Jonathan Edwards is the best winery in Connecticut. It has many of the same high-quality wines you would expect from the area, along with a variety of other unique amenities.
The big kicker for me was its destination wedding experience. They go out of their way to make this experience special, though even people stopping in for a one-time visit will get the same service quality.
- Shrimp Cocktail (and More) Wine Pairing Guide - 09/06/2022
- What Wine Serving Sizes Look Like: Standard Size and More - 08/06/2022
- How Much Sugar is in Wine: Glass and Bottle Sugar Content - 08/06/2022